I love the music of the winter season. It’s about coming together, promoting a sense of peace, and a feeling that there must be something bigger than any single one of us. It’s also about coming home, or wishing you were, or making the most of what you have. The Solstice is nearly here, a turning back toward longer days of sunshine. While waiting for the green of Spring, we can still marvel in the beauty of moonlight-glistened ice crystals frozen on tree limbs, the surreal feeling of fog hugging close, and the comfort of a warm fire, hot cocoa, and – for me – a good book.
What are your favorite holiday tunes? Any I need to add to this list?
- My Favourite Time of Year by the Florin Street Band
- The Christians and the Pagans – Bridget and Alie Doyle
- The Little Drummer Boy / Peace on Earth – David Bowie & Bing Crosby (song starts close to 2 min mark)
- Fairtale of New York by The Pogues
- The Christmas Can-can by Straight No Chaser
- Happy Xmas by John Lennon
- Hallelujah ~ this one is the John Cale version, with Final Fantasy video clips
- Home by Phil Phillips – a new favorite of mine for any time of year, but it definitely fits the mood for the season.
- We Three Kings - the claymation version
- Feliz Navidad – Jose Feliciano
- Winter Wonderland – Bing Crosby
- Do They Know It’s Christmas? – Band Aid
- Bob & Doug Sing 12 Days of Christmas (Day 1 = a beer… in a tree!).
- Chanukah Song by Adam Sandler
- Trans-Siberian Orchestra has a several favorites; here are a few: